Z Kitchen

Rethinking food as a way of life...Here we discuss developments and ideas from Z Kitchen and other culinary musings.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Updated Classics: Lobster

Usually when I cook lobster I do my best to blend new ideas with classic techniques. I particularly love Thomas Keller's lobster recipes for this exact reason. This time, however, I thought I'd try updating some classic ideas with new flavors. Nothing groundbreaking, just giving some perhaps staid lobster dishes a new life.

We start this story with a 5 lb. lobster.

After disassembly I was left with these beautiful hunks of tail and claw. I also had a good amount of meat from the knuckles and legs.

First, an updated lobster Thermidor, an old-school Continental dish if there ever was one. Creamy, rich, and loaded with spices wasn't exactly what I was going for. Instead, I kept the requesite mushrooms but gave them a somewhat Asian flair by using shitakes and maitakes. I cut down the cream and the spices, too.

With the remaining meat I turned to lobster rolls, probably one of my favorite summertime foods. Lunch/Lobster Roll on the eastern tip of Long Island serves an iconic Hamptons classic that I very much enjoy. Using their basic recipe: lobster, lemon juice, mayonnaise, celery, buttered top-split bun, I made additional variations.

A flight of lobster rolls, from left to right, traditional, sriracha, guacamole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home